1. WHAT ARE COOKIES?
Cookies are small files that are installed onto the USER’S terminal when they visit a website, with the purpose of storing data that may be updated and recovered by the party responsible for their installation. If the USER is not registered or does not leave any personal information on the website, the server will have knowledge that someone with that cookie returned to the website, but it will not be possible to associate the browsing to a specific and identified USER.
2. WHAT KINDS OF COOKIES EXIST?
Cookies, based on their expiry, can be classified into session or permanent cookies. The former expire when the user closes the browser, while the latter remain for longer, during which time the data remain stored on the terminal and can be accessed and processed.
They can also be distinguished according to the entity managing the equipment or domain from where the cookies are sent and any data obtained are processed. In this case, they are classified as:
- Own cookies: those that are sent to the user’s terminal from a computer or domain managed by the owner of the website and from which the service requested by the user actual is provided.
- Third party cookies: those that are sent to the user’s terminal from a computer or domain that is not managed by the owner of the website, but rather by another entity that processes the data obtained through cookies.
Cookies can also be classified based on their purpose and we can therefore talk about:
- Technical cookies: permit the user to browse through a website, platform or application and the utilisation of the different options or services that exist therein, such as control data traffic and communication, identify the session or carry out the purchasing process of an order.
Personalisation cookies: permit the user to access the service with some predefined general characteristics based on a series of criteria on the user’s terminal, such as language or type of browser.
- Analytical cookies: permit the party responsible therefor to monitor and analyse the behavior of the users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected is utilised in the measurement of the activity of the websites, application or platform and for the preparation of browsing profiles of the users of said websites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements based on the analysis of the data done by the users of the service.
- Advertising cookies: permit the management, as effectively as possible, of any advertising spaces that, if applicable, the editor has included on a website, application or platform from which they provide the service requested, based on criteria such as the edited content or the frequency with which the ads are shown.
3. HOW TO DEACTIVATE OR DELETE COOKIES?
The user may configure their browser so that cookies are not installed or to receive a screen notification each time a cookie is to be installed, and can decide each time if they want to accept or not. The user may also subsequently decide to delete any cookies they have installed by changing their browser settings or deleting them manually through said browser. Bear in mind that deleting cookies can entail reduced website quality or functionalities. To carry out these operations, you must follow the instructions of the browser you use:
- Google Chrome: http://bit.ly/2yxQv5L
- Mozilla Firefox: https://mzl.la/2IiAiB6
- Safari: https://apple.co/2KhESEK I
- Internet Explorer: http://bit.ly/2K5